Cherry Grove Friends Church began in the Battle Ground community in 1943. We started as on outpost of Piedmont Friends Church in Portland. The first service was lead by Pastor J. Harley Adams on February 6, 1944. The original building, constructed in 1910, still stands and is now home to Sean’s Astronomy Shop. In 1953, Cherry Grove became a stand alone Church, independent of Piedmont Friends.
On May 8, 1977 a ground-breaking ceremony was held for our current home on the corner of NE 92nd Avenue and Highway 502 in Battle Ground. The first service in the new sanctuary was held on February 25, 1979.
Our church bell was originally from the Cherry Grove School. The bell was given to the church when the school disbanded and joined the Battle Ground School District.
Pastor Arden Kinser has been Cherry Grove’s pastor since 2002. Prior to blessing Cherry Grove Friends Church with his ministry, Arden shared his easy laugh, warm spirit, and humble nature with Sherwood Friends Church and Lynwood Friends Church, both in the Portland area, and Colorado Springs Friends Church in Colorado. Arden grew up in Paonia, Colorado where his father was the pastor at Paonia Friends Church. Arden holds masters degrees in Counseling and Theology, as well as a doctorate degree in Family Ministry.
Arden has been nuts about his wife, Janet, since before they married in 1975. Together they have three adult daughters, two grandsons, and two step-grandchildren. Arden is known for his love of a triple Americano, no cream, and can be spotted enjoying the back roads of Clark County while riding his shiny black motorcycle. Arden enjoys photography, camping, and just about anything athletic. He has also been rumored to be quite good with a yo-yo.